Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Scans and Smiles

They are rudely expensive.

I'm not sure if other insurance companies cover them, but mine doesn't because i'm just on a basic plan. It really sucks when you're a young patient and all you have was just some rider's programme on your parent's insurance.

So there's 4 PET scans i've done so far apart from many CTs and Xrays.


PET measures the cellular activities of cells, so if there's cancer they are very "hyper" and you could see the images "light up", the above is black and white though. The cancer or hyper cells like our brain etc, light up too, so the big mass on top is my brain, the lumps in the mediastinal is then the cancer. And, there's the contrast drink in my bladder. Ahem.

Upon diagnosis last year June, they are so massive that the biggest tumor was measured 15x12cm, wrapping up my heart. Eventually mid-way I responded and it was clear and you can see my heart.

However, there are many scars tissue (like blobs of flesh?) inside still where cancer first occurs. They are then captured in CTs which doesn't have colours or light. You will see images of organs and remnants of the tissues.

That's why i had radiation therapy to zap them away because some says it might be good breeding grounds for relapse. Furthermore my initial tumors were bulky, so to play safe (and of course i bear the long term sides effects).

Also, some immediate chemo and rads side effects are still lingering, i've not exactly gotten back to where i used to be. The awful neuropathy, aches, fatigue, pericardial effusion etc and changes in many little areas just remind me that I've had my chemo/rads days.

Many asked, when i returned school, how am i doing. What came into my mind is the above explanation. But, it's too visual and difficult to explain.

So, i'll always say, I'm fine (?).  

No comments:

Post a Comment