Tuesday, July 5, 2011

All about Food

The flu symptoms went away after a nap. I guess, I’m just all too weak and I should not scare myself with those light symptoms since my body is now much weaker.

On a lighter note, I’ve decided to go back to the kitchen. But, I’ve got to be careful with knifes, as I can’t afford to cut myself.  Somehow, I’m should be glad that even I can’t pursue my career at this moment; I get to spend more time in the kitchen and with my books.

The elders always ask me to watch my diet. It’s really ironic; I’m the one in the family who is most conscious about my diet before I’m diagnosed with Lymphoma. I even tried turning a vegetarian while carefully incorporating adequate protein in my diet.  Matching the different characteristics of many vegetables to come up with a balanced meal is what I’m constantly thinking about. I read up a lot on the therapeutic functions of different ingredients, always trying to cook the food such that flavors are enhanced naturally and the nutrition are all retained. It’s difficult in Singapore to get fresh ingredients, so it’s hard for me to stand by using free-range chickens, fresh meat and seafood. That’s why I’m always so eager to visit Italy or other countries where fresh food are in abundance. Even milk, I love the milk in Assuie land, ours are all processed.

I remember a chef saying, olive oil is just like bread, once you open it, it turns stale after a while. But, here we don’t always cook; even cooking oil takes a while to be finished. My olive oil, too, can’t maintain the freshness. So, there goes freshness in Singapore.

Freshest Fish and Chips @ Melbourne

There are so much to cooking and eating I can talk about. But now, whenever the elders reminds me of what I should abstain, makes me laugh helplessly. I knew all that, but still it wasn’t enough for me to be healthy.  Frankly speaking, I was really disappointed for a moment in my diet and in the entire affair of food and cooking.

Food and Cooking. I even had plans to pursue it after NUS. Suddenly, it became meaningless. Well, luckily it’s over. I manage to realize my love for them. Though, with my current situation, I have hell loads of limitation to what I can eat.

Maybe I was an ill-fated cook in the imperial kitchen in my past life, which died regretting not able to cook better. So, I have to continue cooking this life, or else I’ll again die with regrets.

*****
Okay, much ranting, I tried out a dish today. I forgot to take a picture and it ended up in my stomach within minutes. Well, I guess today is the best day so far because I actually ate quite a bit. Some protein booster below. 


Cod in Mushroom Butter sauce (serves 1)

Ingredients
°         Cod fish steak 150g
°         2-3 fresh button mushrooms
°         Garlic slices
°         Olive Oil
°        1 tablespoon butter
°         Black pepper 
A pinch of sea salt (I used Murray River salt flakes, they are pink naturally!)


First, do some aglio olio action by heating up the pan in low heat with olive oil and add in the garlic slices. Just before the garlic turns brown, off the fire. We’re trying to infuse the flavor into the oil here. Sprinkle salt on the cod fish and lay it nicely in a tray covered with aluminum foil. Cut the butter into little pieces or cubes if it’s still hard and sprinkle over the fish. Sliced the mushrooms and cover the fish with them. Pour the garlic oil over and sprinkle some black pepper.

Pop the tray into the oven around 270 for 15 minutes, oh remember to cover the fish with another foil. After that, remove the cover and let it bake for another 5 minutes. 

Enjoy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment